Are developers smarter than tester? Any suggestion about the future prospects and technicality involvedin the testing job?
Software QA/Testing Technical FAQs
(Continued from previous question...)
Are developers smarter than tester? Any suggestion about the future prospects and
technicality involvedin the testing job?
QA & Testing are thankless jobs. In a software development company developer is a core person.
As you are a fresh graduate, it would be good for you to work as a developer. From development you can always move to testing or QA or other admin/support tasks. But from Testing or QA it is little difficult to go back to development, though not impossible(as u are BE comp)
Seeing the job market, it is not possible for each & every fresher to get into development. But you can keep searching for it.
Some big company's have seperate Verifiction & Validation groups where only testing projects are executed. Those teams have TLs, PLs who are testing experts. They earn good salary same as development people.
In technical projects the testing team does lot of technical work. You can do certifications to improve your technical skills & market value.
It all depends on your way of handling things & interpersonal, communication and leadership skills.
If it is difficult for you to get a job in developement or you really like testing, just go ahead. Try to achieve excellence as a testing professional. You will never have a job problem .Also you will always get onsite opportunities too!! Yuo might have to struggle for initial few years like all other freshers.
QA and Testing are thankless only in some companies.
Testing is part of development. Rather than distinguish between testing and development,distinguish between testing and programming.
Programming is also thankless in some companies.
Not suggesting that anyone should or should not go into testing. It depends on your skills and interests. Some people are better at programming and worse at testing, some better at testing and worse at programming, some are not suited for either role. You should decide what you are good at and what fascinates you. What type of work would make you WANT to stay at work for 60-80 hours a week for a few years because it is so interesting?
Suggesting that there are excellent testing jobs out there, but there are bad ones too (in testing and in programming, both).
Have not seen any certification in software testing that improves the technical skill of anyone. Apparently, testing certification improves a tester's market value in some markets.
Most companies mean testing when they say "QA". Or they mean Testing plus Metrics, where the metrics tasks are low-skill data collection and basic data analysis rather than thinking up and justifying measurement systems appropriate to the questions at hand. In terms of skill, salary, intellectual challenge and value to the company, testing+metrics is the same as testing. Some companies see QA more strategically, and hire more senior people into their groups. Here is a hint--if you can get a job in a group called QA with less than 5 years of experience, it's a testing group or something equivalent to it.
Nothing is considered as great or a mean job. As long as you
like and love to do, everything in that seems to be interesting.
I started as a developer and slowly moved to Testing. I find
testing to be more challenging and interesting. I have solid 6 years
of testing experience alone and many sernior people are there in my
team, who are professional testers.
testing is low-skill work in many companies.
Scripted testing of the kind pushed by ISEB, ISTQB, and the other
certifiers is low skill, low prestige, offers little return value to the
company that pays for it, and is often pushed to offsite contracting
firms because it isn't worth doing in-house. In many cases, it is just a
process of "going through the motions" -- pretending to do testing (and
spending a lot of money in the pretense) but without really looking for
any important information and without creating any artifacts that will
be useful to the project team.
The only reason to take a job doing this kind of work is to get paid for
it. Doing it for too long is bad for your career.
There are much higher-skill ways to do testing. Some of them involve
partial automation (writing or using programs to help you investigate
the program more effectively), but automation tools are just tools. They
are often used just as mind-numbingly and valuelessly as scripted manual
testing. When you're offered this kind of position, try to find out how
much judgment you will have to exercise in the analysis of the product
under test and the ways that it provides value to the users and other
stakeholders, in the design of tests to check that value and to check
for other threats to value (security failures, performance failures,
usability failures, etc.)--and how much this position will help you
develop your judgment. If you will become a more skilled and more
creative investigator who has a better collection of tools to
investigate with, that might be interesting. If not, you will be marking
time (making money but learning little) while the rest of the technical
world learns new ideas and skills.
(Continued on next question...)
Other Interview Questions
- Software Quality Assurance
- What's difference between client/server and Web Application ?
- Software Quality Assurance Activities
- What's the difference between STATIC TESTING and DYNAMIC TESTING?
- Software Testing
- What's difference between QA/testing
- What black box testing types can you tell me about?
- What is software testing methodology?
- What’s the difference between QA and testing?
- Why Testing CANNOT Ensure Quality
- How to find all the Bugs during first round of Testing?
- Is regression testing performed manually?
- How to choose which defect to remove in 1000000 defects? (because It will take too much resources in order to remove them all.)
- What is software quality?
- What are the five dimensions of the Risks?
- What is good code?
- How do you perform integration testing?
- Why back-end testing is required, if we are going to check the front-end ....?
- What is Software “Quality”?
- What is retesting?
- How to establish QA Process in an organization?
- What is software testing?
- Any recommendation for estimation how many bugs the customer will find till gold release?
- When the build comes to the QA team, what are the parameters to be taken for consideration to reject the build upfront without committing for testing ?
- What is software testing?
- What is the testing lifecycle?
- How to validate data?
- What is quality?
- What is Benchmark?
- Which of the following Statements about gernerating test cases is false?
- What is “Quality Assurance”?
- Quality Assurance and Software Development
- Which things to consider to test a mobile application through black box technique?
- What is the general testing process?
- What's normal practices of the QA specialists with perspective of software?
- from low-level to high level (Testing in Stages)
- How to test and to get the difference between two images which is in the same window?
- Testing Strategies
- When do we prepare a Test Plan?
- What is boundary value analysis?
- Describe methods to determine if you are testing an application too much?
- Procedural Software Testing Issues
- How do I start with testing?
- OO Software Testing Issues
- What is the purpose of black box testing?
- How do you create a test plan/design?
- What is the purpose of a test plan?
- Can we prepare Test Plan without SRS?
- How do test plan templates look like?
- How to Test a desktop systems ?
- How do you create a test strategy?
- How to do Estimating Testing effort ?
- What is the purpose of test strategy?
- What's Quality Approach document? what should be the contents and things like that...
- What does a test strategy document contain?
- Why Q/A should not report to development?
- Which of the following statements about Regression statements are true?
- How do you execute tests?
- What is a requirements test matrix?
- Can you give me a requirements test matrix template?
- What metrics are used for bug tracking?
- In QA team, everyone talks about process. What exactly they are taking about? Are there any different type of process?
- What metrics are used for test report generation?
- What is quality plan?
- What is the difference between verification and validation?
- What is the difference between efficient and effective?
- How effective can we implement six sigma principles in a very large software services organization?
- What stage of bug fixing is the most cost effective?
- What is Defect Life Cycle.?
- What is the difference between a software bug and software defect?
- Are developers smarter than tester? Any suggestion about the future prospects and technicality involvedin the testing job?
- What's the difference between priority and severity?
- How to test a web based application that has recently been modified to give support for Double Byte Character Sets?
- What is the difference between software fault and software failure?
- before creating test cases to "break the system", a few principles have to be observed:
- Would like to know whether Black Box testing techniques like Boundary Value Analysis and Equivalence Partitioning - during which phases of testing are they used,if possible with examples ?
- Test Case Design
- How to use methods/techniques to test the bandwidth usage of a client/server application?
- How do test case templates look like?
- How to insert a check point to a image to check enable property in QTP?
- How do you write test cases?
- Diferences Between System Testing and User Acceptance Testing?
- What is the difference between a test plan and a test scenario?
- Can you give me an example on reliability testing?
- Need function to find all the positions? Ex: a string "abcd, efgh,ight" . Want break this string based on the criteria here ever found the..
- What is the difference between monkey testing and smoke testing?
- It's a good thing to share test cases with customers
- Tell me about daily builds and smoke tests.
- How to Read data from the Telnet session?
- What is the difference between system testing and integration testing?
- How to trace fixed bug in test case?
- What is the difference between performance testing and load testing?
- After the migration done, how to test the application (Frontend hasn't changed just the database changed)
- What is the difference between reliability testing and load testing?
- Some general guidelines on what to test for web based applications.
- What is the difference between volume testing and load testing?
- What types of testing can you tell me about?
- Which test cannot be automated? Acceptence test plan is prepared from? Which is the test case design methodology? Does test plan contains bug tracing procedure and reporting procedure?
- What is ACH and NACHA?
- What is the role of documentation in QA?
- Is there a way to automate XML file comparison?
- How do you introduce a new software QA process?
- What's requitrement of Bug tracking tool?
- When do you choose automated testing?
- What a Coverage Matrix is? or What is a traceability matrix?
- Is white box testing different from unit testing?
- Do automated testing tools make testing easier?
- Ho to write Software Requirement Sepcification (SRS) document for Grade Card System?
- How can I schedule the different testcases in a (.t) test script so that all the test cases it contains run one after another ? ...
- Why are there so many software bugs?
- What are Test Cases, Test Suites, Test Scripts, and Test Scenarios (or Scenaria)?
- Give me five common problems that occur during software development.
- What is SRS and BRS . and what is the difference between them?
- What should be done after a bug is found?
- Qive some examples of Low Severity and Low Priority Bugs .....
- Give me five solutions to problems that occur during software development.
- What is risk analysis? What does it have to do with Severity and Priority?
- It is logical to be described different expected results for one action? ....
- What if the software is so buggy it can't be tested at all?
- What is API Testing?
- What if there isn't enough time for thorough testing?
- How to test a module(web based developed in .NET) which would load data from the list(which is text file) into the database(SQL Server)
- What if the project isn't big enough to justify extensive testing?
- Is the testing an art of thinking ?
- What is the role of test engineers?
- What is the role of a QA engineer?
- What are the responsibilities of a QA engineer?
- The system runs at Intranet environment and it has a security system.....
- What is the ratio of developers and testers?
- What is the difference between V-model and water fall model?
- Which of these roles are the best and most popular?
- For Reliability, Usability and Testability. Explain why you would test for these factors?
- What other roles are in testing?
- Whats the difference between ISO vs CMM ?
- To build and release the build to the QA. Does any body knowing in detail about this profile?
- What makes a good test engineer?
- What's the role in CMM Level in Testing? What's the diff b/w 5 levels? which level most commonly used in testing?
- What are Internationalization, Localization, Globalization, and Multilingualization Testing?
- What makes a good QA engineer?
- Difference between Verification and Validation?
- Looking for a tool whcih can do bulk data insert to various tables in the test database and also that tool which work with DB2, SQLServer and Oracle.
- What makes a good QA/Test Manager?
- Need to shut down network connectivity mid tansaction. How to do this programmatically via windows interface?
- What can be done if requirements are changing continuously?
- What if the application has functionality that wasn't in the requirements?
- How to write Test Case for telephone ?
- How do you know when to stop testing?
- WHAT WILL BE TESTED ON A STATIC WEB PAGE?
- How can software QA processes be implemented without stifling productivity?
- How to solve this issue - When developers blame testers for reporting bugs that is not reproducible on their machine?
- Why do we recommended that we test during the design phase?
- How to test a application in flash?
- How test estimation (in terms of schedule, cost, resources required) will be done during developing of test plan?
- What kind of automated software used to test a Web-based application with a .NET (ASP.NET and C#...also SQL Server) framework?
- What kind of automated testing tool should Small company use?
- What if organization is growing so fast that fixed QA processes are impossible?
- Can We do performance testing manually?*
- What's the SDLC models- waterfall and v-models?
- What's server side testing
- How a particular test team is formed ?
- Need a template for preparing the Test Environment.
- What is the exact difference between functional and non functional testing?
- How is testing affected by object-oriented designs?
- Standards and templates - what is supposed to be in a document?
- Need some QA advice: * Improve Management Commitment to Quality Assurance , * Improve the Internalization Quality Assurance as a process
- I don't have a lot of money. How can I become a good tester?
- What's fuzz testing ?
- Which of these tools should I learn?
- What's differentiate Test_Plan and Test_Strategy
- What are some of the software configuration management tools?
- How to write Nunit test cases
- What is documentation change management?
- How can I test without requirements?
- What is the difference between user documentation and user manual?
- Why was bug x or bug y caught NOT during testing?"
- How do you conduct peer reviews?
- Internal Server Error problem while doing load testing using Microsoft Web Application Stress Tool ....
- How do you check the security of an application?
- How do I write a Test Case?
- How to estimate product test hours for new releases?
- When testing the password field, what is your focus?
- What are the metrics to be collected as part of testing?
- What is your view of software QA/testing?
- How to test a web application, for security testing of Web Application?
- Who write the user acceptance testing testcases?
- What is automatic recovery testing?
- What's the difference between Alpha, Beta and User Acceptance testing?
- How can I be a good tester?
- How to do Laod testing for web based Application?
- What is GUI testing? What elements will we cover in GUI testing?
- What is that column "steps to reproduce" mean in bug tracking?
- When is a process repeatable?
- If you don't have requirements specification, how will you go about testing the application?
- How can I start my career in automated testing?
- What should test in BANKING DOMAIN application ?
- Collaboration between dev and testing
- Is there any common testing framework or testing best practices for distributed system? For example, for distrbuted database management system?
- Why is that my company requires a PDR?
- A list of ten good things about PDRs!
- What is the best way to simulate the real behavior of a web based system?
- How can I shift my focus and area of work from QC to QA?
- How to use loadrunner for testing web-based application?
- What techniques and tools can enable me to migrate from QC to QA?
- What is the BEST WAY to write test cases?
- What is the difference between build and release?
- How to test the memory leakeage mannually?
- What is the difference between version and release?
- How to write Test cases for Login screen?
- What is the checklist for credit card testing?
- How do you test data integrity?
- What is the difference between data validity and data integrity?
- What is the difference between static and dynamic testing?
- What testing tools should we use?
- Why should I use static testing techniques?
- What is the definiton of top down design?
- What is the future of software QA/testing?
- How can I be effective and efficient, when I'm testing e-commerce web sites?
- What is the difference between top down and bottom up design?
- Give me one test case that catches all the bugs!
- What testing approaches can you tell me about?
- Can you give me five common problems?
- Can you give me five common solutions?
- What if the application has functionality that wasn't in the requirements?
- How can software QA processes be implemented without stifling productivity?
- Should I take a course in manual testing?
- To learn to use WinRunner, should I sign up for a course at a nearby educational institution?
- Test Specifications
- Formal Technical Review: Reviews that include walkthroughs, inspection, ....
- Reluctance of implementing Software Quality Assurance
- Benefits of Software Quality Assurance to the organization
- Constraints of Software Quality Assurance
- SOFTWARE TESTING METRICS
- OBJECT ORIENTED TESTING METRICS